Please note that the poems, some photographs and the essays on this site are copyright and may not be reproduced without the author's permission.

Thursday, December 06, 2012

The Wild Elephant...

   So I've never been to a Rain forest till August this year. "C'etait parfait" or almost perfect I guess. How did I feel? I felt excited that I was about to experience something completely new. One would feel alive and extremely fresh when taking in the scenery.  There's something about the trees and so much life around you that makes you feel so spirited. Fresh air and feeling so cool in the midst of no where is quite an experience. The experience was called the "Sinharaja Forest Reserve".


             Since the escapade was only to last a few hours or less than a day, our outing was limited to the buffer zone. The buffer zone is somewhat of a perimeter that surrounds the reserve, just as dangerous and just as wild but it allows people in the surrounding villages to collect fire wood and other raw materials they may need from it. There by protecting the heart of the forest.


                       Unfortunately the government hopes to encroach on this land in order to exploit it's recent boom in tourism. This lush greenery and leading waterways maintain the life it surrounds as well as the wild life in the actual forest reserve. Destroying it to simply give a few tourists a better view of a number of birds... Hmmm... Seems rather crude... Our love of the environment should not be to get the best shot of a rare bird or live in luxury with nature. But to live in synergism with it and do no harm.




            Green politics aside, the love of the outdoors and my uncle's addiction to photography got us moving deeper in to the vegetation. If you think about it, taking pictures of animals and plants is kind of like a enormous photo-shoot of nude animal and plant celebrities. To be published in the next play manure magazine. LOL... Hmmm
     

             The secret to taking pictures of birds is silence. One might say pin drop silence which is the exact phrasing my uncle used. Unfortunately he should have known that bringing along 3 novices to his endeavor might end up going terribly WRONG. So after he emphasized on the fact that we should most certainly seem mute during the journey, he took point and walked ahead to get a picture of some rare something beaked pigeon. Or was it chicken... I dunno...  If you've never been to a rain forest, always remember... LEECHES!!! As I walked attentively toward him, I felt a tingling sensation on my feet and being warned of the possibility of leeches and snakes... I screamed... High pitched and girly!!! My uncle ran toward us and with a serious tone in his voice said " I heard a wild elephant". Unfortunately I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not...


     The best way to deal with leeches and mosquitoes is to spray a hell of a lot of liquid laced in nicotine, me thinks... Either way it got rid of all those leeches heading up my leg. Talk about inappropriate moves on a first date...



There was so much to see... But seriously, so little time... They say you only need one voice to preach a cause... But that really doesn't mean that everyone would listen, would it? That only happens in movies...

No comments:

Post a Comment