Please note that the poems, some photographs and the essays on this site are copyright and may not be reproduced without the author's permission.

Saturday, August 03, 2013

The crows... Part 2

#FWF Free Write Friday: Word Bank
This week’s FWF prompt is a word bank:
blanket – falsetto – cumbersome – cinema – coins

Waking up from a nightmare tends to take a toll on you, especially when it's the same one over and over again. But this time it was different, it was more vivid and way more troubling... My own personal horror movie in my head. I blame all of this on my friend, Jenny. She dragged me off to watch "The conjuring" last week and ever since then I've had the worst sleep ever! Unfortunately I can't blame my nightmares on it, they've been around for way longer. It would have been much better if my ghosts mourned with a falsetto voice rather than a real life cinematic experience in my head. Never did I awake, feeling so estranged from reality. My body conscious of the trauma the birds had ravaged, there were bruises everywhere.



Sitting up from bed, I sighed!

"Today's Sunday! Family brunch! My stepdad! Prrrrrrrrrfht....."

Opening the window blinds by my bed, the light just hammered my face thoughtlessly, avenging all the darkness in my room. It was amazing outside, the sky was a blanket of clouds on a light blue sea of possibilities. It always calmed me when I would stare into the universe. Silent, calm and thrilling while the clouds themselves roam the upper atmosphere as if they were guarding someone or something...

It was finally time to take on the cumbersome task of getting ready. Cumbersome because of my mother constantly ranting about how I should and shouldn't dress myself and most importantly because of that troll I call a "Stepfather". He was going to be there, he was going to keep bitching about everything. The coins of money he'd spent on me, what I've got to get done, everything I had to get done and probably more...

I stomached the thought of it all and mindlessly dragged myself into the washroom.

"Shitt!!!!!!" I screeched as I stumbled on something.

A pile of black feathers? Did I go to Jake's costume party last night? Even if I did, I highly doubt that I would wear a head of feathers. On further inspection it was not just a bunch of feathers, but feathers bound to flesh. A crow... To be more precise a dead crow... My bathroom which had no windows harbouring some dead crow...

"Cleaning this up is just gonna take longer..."

5 comments:

  1. Great piece. Kind of eerie. I like that. I am a huge fan of horror movies and cannot wait to see The Conjuring! I LOVE being scared to death haha! But I have to admit, it's hard to do. Well, for movies anyway. Takes a reeeeeally good one to get me. But jump out from behind a door and I hit the floor in terror lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool tale, I'll have to go find part one. Love the description on opening the window. Crows if given half the chance will get in anywhere.. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, Love the prompt as well Kellie! Definitely watch the conjuring, it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great vivid prose. Now that crow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt this stood alone as a great short story so I will look forward to reading part 1

    ReplyDelete